Monday, March 29, 2010

姚晨的信和音乐

姚晨给我写信,说:

I am still seaching a right niche for my music creativity. Teaching at UIUC is totally fine but i think it is not eriching my my writing at this stage of my music life. I might quit my job here and spend more time composing next year, and of course I wont refuse any school positions with light teaching load. I think I need to be a composer first and then possibly a teacher. I can not live like what many people often expect--have a teaching position and move up step by step until retirement. This is not what i want, at least at this stage...

Since one of the courses I am teaching this semester is called Chinese contemporary music, i am able to review again some of TanDun's music and some documentaries of his music path. I am still moved after so many years. I dont know him in person, and i only hear and listen what is in the CDs and DVDs. I am not following his path, but I really admire and agree with his attitude and spirit of music making. Music should not be academic in the first place; Music comes from people, and goes back to people;Music should affect and influence people, MANY people, not just impress those professors, scholars and your peers. For me, the process of making music is not lonely... it should have the communication with people from the very beginning... your idea, musicians, writing, rehearsals, performances, audiences, critics... fans... etc... it is all about human interaction. I used to control my music making alot, the organization of the pitches, forms, expressions, and the way audience listens.. Now I want to follow my heart, follow my own life, and follow the direction that every musical motive suggests. Music must go natually like how we live.

我看了非常感叹,坚信这个人一定可以成为一个作曲家,可我又害怕他把工作辞了,在还没有成为作曲家之前就饿死了。作曲家和诗人都差不多,时时要处在半饱不饱的状态。太饱了诗和歌都会有猪油的味道,太饿了也会面黄肌瘦:-)

这是他的音乐。《骏》我前几年在马友友的《丝绸之路》音乐会上听过。这次听,还是非常新鲜。





9 comments:

小乖 said...

很理解你的担心。他的作品是阳春白雪,而美国大多是下里巴人。可人们不也常说:Do what you love, money will follow.

July said...

他真的很痴,对音乐简直是献身 :-)

BBB said...

《骏》好像有点以低音大提琴模仿二胡的味道。大体上是三段体,第一段受传统民乐和地方戏曲的影响明显。中段有些地方让我想起著名的二胡曲“赛马”。


我更喜欢下面这个他的以中国传统五声调式写的这五只钢琴曲。比较抽象,让人思索。避开了传统中国音乐因素总与“标题音乐”相联的路子。

Five Chinese Folk Tunes for piano solo by Yao Chen

BBB said...

BTW,祝姚晨成功。

沈睿 said...

真希望他别饿坏了。同意他的关于艺术,音乐写作与人的互动论述。真的,我也讨厌写学术论文,觉得没有什么人看,毫无意思...此刻我就在写,跑出来看你的博客。你天天都写,真好,而且有很多新的东西。

我后天去New Orleans...开会。:-)

July said...

介绍一个新奥尔良的餐馆。在法国区

Bacco
310 Chartres Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
(504) 522-2426

是意大利餐馆。中午的套餐15元,有汤和正餐。好吃极了。中午要套餐还可以花1毛钱买一杯马提尼。这个传统有好几十年了。

小乖 said...

我很喜欢Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, op.11。在他九岁的时候,他给母亲写了一封信:

Dear Mother: I have written to tell you my worrying secret. Now don’t cry when you read it because it is neither yours nor my fault. I suppose I will have to tell it now, without any nonsense. To begin with I was not meant to be an athlete. I was meant to be a composer, and will be I’m sure. I’ll ask you one more thing .—Don’t ask me to try to forget this unpleasant thing and go play football.—Please—Sometimes I’ve been worrying about this so much that it makes me mad (not very).

他七岁就作曲,两次的普利策奖。也许姚晨是第二个Samuel Barber?

东东 said...

感动!

"it is all about human interaction. Now I want to follow my heart, follow my own life, and follow the direction that every musical motive suggests. Music must go natually like how we live."


这句话尤其触动,it is all about human interaction! 音乐的意义,人生的意义在此!

真是大熊猫, 若他是一个人,倒饿不了, 有家有子后, 就难了。我希望他的理想不会被岁月和现实冲淡。

What can we do for him? July

July said...

没事了,我开开玩笑。姚晨饿不死,他其实已经小有名气了 :-)

音乐家都要人家听他的音乐:-)